The Oregon Symphony is the sixth oldest major orchestra in the United States and one of the largest arts organizations in the Pacific Northwest, performing over 70 concerts per year at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland and providing a wide array of musical educational offerings for all ages.
The orchestra is recognized as one of the most successful and innovative symphony orchestras in the nation. On May 12, 2011 the Oregon Symphony made its debut at Carnegie Hall as part of the Spring for Music festival. Writing in the June 6th issue of the New Yorker, critic Alex Ross called our performance "the highlight of the festival and one of the most gripping events of the current season."
Marketing Manager – Part-time Temporary
The Marketing Manager – Part-time Temporary is responsible for implementing marketing, sales, and promotional strategies for revenue-generating concerts, with an emphasis on single ticket sales for Classical, Pops, and Kids Concerts. This position is expected to span from December 2016 – August, 2017. The Marketing Manager – Part-time Temporary also provides general departmental support where necessary, and performs the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates advertising and promotional strategies for Classical, Pops, and Kids Concerts, as well as Special Concerts when appropriate.
- Places media buys for Classical, Pops, and Kids Concerts, as well as Special Concerts when appropriate.
- Works with Production Manager to schedule and coordinate print and digital marketing projects; ensures smooth communication regarding specs and deadlines for all advertising/marketing projects.
- Manages timelines and content development for television and radio campaigns; working with the Director of Marketing, Communications and Sales, prepares scripts and music segments for commercial radio station spots, and identifies footage, music and other content for television spots; works with station representatives and/or outside vendors to coordinate spot production and to revise/approve the produced spot.
- Works with strategic community partners and Tessitura Applications Administrator to create special promotional activities and/or customized ticketing offers, and manages internal Promotions Calendar.
- Manages the email marketing schedule; works with Director of Marketing, Communications, and Sales on creation and deployment of Concert Concierge concert reminders, Picks and Previews, and monthly e-newsletters, as well as list requests and content.
- Provides assistance to the Director of Marketing, Communications, and Sales by managing the social media calendar, and researching and drafting content.
- Provides assistance to the President and the VP for Communications, Marketing, and Sales in the preparation of weekly sales reports.
- Manages expenses, and provides invoice reconciliation: codes and manages marketing invoices, and reconciles with accounting department.
- Provides additional support to the Marketing Department in the areas of copy editing and proof reading, updating email signatures, and attending weekly team meetings.
- Attends concerts and Symphony events.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and a minimum of four years marketing experience, preferably in the arts sector. Digital marketing experience a plus.
- Language Skills: Strong reading, writing, and communication skills are required for this position. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to budget and forecast with accuracy and to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, percentages, etc.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills: Extensive Excel spreadsheet experience; knowledge of Microsoft Office; ability to quickly learn and use new software. Experience with Tessitura software, Content Management Systems, and/or Google Analytics also a plus.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Experience in pricing tickets and forecasting sales.
Team player. Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
For a complete position description, please read the job description (PDF).
To inquire, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.
Oregon Symphony Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Founded in 1896, the Oregon Symphony is recognized for its internationally-acclaimed conductors, skilled musicians, diverse performances and outstanding education and community engagement programs. Our mission is sharing live performances with the people in our region.